Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cheap Thrills: the old Forum

I love this gorilla. He has my vote for best inflatable, marketing ploy that I've seen in a while. I am always a sucker for the big gorilla telling me there's a SUPER SALE.

My excuse was that I wanted to visit the old Forum which was my roller skating haunt of ... oh, a few years back.

Appropriately enough, this new store is called The Old Forum. Why bother changing the name? Unlike the SkyDome which now has the least descriptive name ever: The Rogers Centre. Boring. Could be anything. The Old Forum is just that: the old FORUM. Wow!
The Old Forum still has all the stuff I remember. The wooden roller rink is still there as is the video screen. The dj booth is intack as is the sound equipment which is actually being used by the store. The washrooms were disconcertingly samey as was the snack bar. There's even carpeting left on many of the walls.
Funny, I remember it being so cool at the time. Looking back, I remember so many awkward moments spent trying to look cool whilst skating in circles and hanging out at the dj door. I shudder to think!
It was certainly a walk through memory lane, I tell ya.
But then, I come outside and see that big, inflatable gorilla and smile. It's all good, I'm NOT 13 years old again. Thank gawd.

No comments: